Reminiscent of Greek baklava, yet easier to make, these tiny pastries burst with rich honey-nut filling. Brew a pot of tea to serve with them.
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 15 mins to 20 mins 375°F
- In a medium bowl stir together piecrust mix and the 1/4 cup sugar. Add enough water to form a ball. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of the dough into a 9-inch circle. Transfer 1 circle to an ungreased cookie sheet.
- For filling, combine the nuts, the 1/3 cup sugar, honey, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Spread over dough circle on cookie sheet. Top with remaining dough circle. Use tines of fork to seal edges and prick dough. Brush with milk.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry starts to brown. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. While warm, cut into 16 to 20 wedges. Cool completely.
- In a small saucepan combine the chocolate pieces and shortening. Cook and stir over low heat just until melted. Drizzle over wedges. Makes 16 to 20.
Nutrition Facts (Nut Wedges)
- Per serving:
- 214 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 136 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet