- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee crystals
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 375 degree F. Beat the butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, coffee crystals, baking powder, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; beat until combined. Beat in eggs until combined. Beat in cocoa powder and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Stir in the nuts. Divide dough in half.
2. Shape each half into an 8-inch loaf, using floured hands. Place loaves about 5 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten to 3 inches wide.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until firm and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 hour or until completely cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degree F.
4. Transfer loaves to a cutting board. Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay slices, cut sides down, on the cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 7 to 12 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer to wire racks and cool.
5. For the espresso drizzle, in a medium bowl dissolve the instant espresso in 1 tablespoon water. Stir in powdered sugar. Add additional water, if necessary, to make drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Makes about 30.
- Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.
- Servings Per Recipe 30,
- cal. (kcal) 133,
- Fat, total (g) 5,
- chol. (mg) 30,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 20,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 3,
- vit. A (RE) 31,
- sodium (mg) 73,
- calcium (mg) 40,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet