Melomacarona (Greek Honey-Dipped Cookies)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a very large bowl, whisk together oil, 1-1/4 cups sugar, the orange peel, orange juice, cognac, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, the baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and cloves until well combined. Stir in flour with a wooden spoon. Dough will be stiff.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Dough will be crumbly as you knead it. Form dough into a ball.
- In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Using a slightly rounded tablespoon of dough for each cookie, shape dough into 2-1/2x1-1/2-inch ovals, 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. Dip dough ovals in cinnamon-sugar mixture, turning to coat both sides. Place ovals 1-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush tops of ovals very lightly with beaten egg white. Place 2 to 3 almond slices atop each cookie, pressing lightly onto cookies.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are just firm when lightly touched and tops are lightly browned. Cool cookies on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Set cooling racks atop sheets of parchment or waxed paper. Dip cooled cookies into Spiced Honey Glaze, turning to coat both sides. Remove from syrup with two forks, allowing excess syrup to drip off. Set cookies on prepared cooling racks. Let stand 30 minutes before serving. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Spiced Honey Glaze
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water, honey, lemon peel, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, and clove. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool completely before dipping cookies.