Maple Log Cabins and Trees
cups packed brown sugar
cup maple-flavored syrup
cup finely chopped toasted pecans
recipe Maple Icing (see recipe below)
White or colored nonpareils (optional)
- In bowl beat butter on medium to high speed 30 seconds. Add brown sugar. Beat until combined. Beat in eggs and syrup until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can. Using a wooden spoon, stir in pecans and any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours. Divide each half of the dough into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a 10-inch-long rope.
- For a cabin, cut a rope into five 2-inch-long logs. To assemble, place 3 logs horizontally on an ungreased cookie sheet; press them together slightly to form the cabin. Place the remaining 2 logs in an inverted V shape above the cabin; press ends against cabin corners slightly to form the roll. Brush with a mixture of egg white and water.
- For a tree, cut a rope into 6 pieces: one 3-inch piece, one 2-1/2-inch, one 2-inch, two 1-inch, and one 1/2-inch. To assemble, place the 3-inch piece horizontally on an ungreased cookie sheet; add the 2-1/2-inch piece, then the 2-inch, a 1-inch, and finally the 1/2-inch piece; press them together slightly to form the tree. Place the remaining 1-inch piece vertically below the tree; press in place slightly to form the trunk. Brush with a mixture of egg white and water.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute. Transfer cookies to rack; cool. Using a decorating bag fitted with a plain tip or a plastic bag with corner snipped off, decorate each cookie as desired with Maple Icing. If desired, while icing is still wet, sprinkle with nonpareils.
- In bowl beat 2 tablespoons butter for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar. Beat in 3 tablespoons maple-flavored syrup. Gradually beat in enough sifted powdered sugar (1/2 to 3/4 cup) for piping consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. Makes 24 cabins or trees.
Nutrition Facts(Maple Log Cabins and Trees)
- Per serving:
- 291 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 51 mg chol.,
- 137 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet