- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon rose water or lemon juice*
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons finely snipped rose petals or other edible flowers
- Coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- Decorative heart-shaped candy sprinkles
- Red shoestring licorice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a medium mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until combined. Beat in lemon peel and rose water or lemon juice. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the 2 teaspoons rose petals. Form dough into a ball, kneading if necessary until smooth.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll half of the dough at a time to about 1/4-inch thickness. Using 1-1/2-inch cookie cutters or a pastry wheel, cut dough into desired shapes (squares, hearts, circles, etc.). Sprinkle each cookie with coarse sugar and top with a heart-shaped candy. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are just lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, tie cookies together with shoestring licorice. Makes about 48 cookies.
- If using lemon juice in the dough, decrease lemon peel to 2 teaspoons.
- cal. (kcal) 33,
- Fat, total (g) 2,
- chol. (mg) 5,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 3,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 1,
- vit. A (IU) 97,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 4,
- sodium (mg) 21,
- Potassium (mg) 4,
- iron (mg) 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet