Flecks of pale purple lavender petals give these fragrant cookies a unique appearance. If they aren't available at your regular supermarket, look for lavender buds at specialty food stores.
- Yields: 3 dozen cookies
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs
- Bake: 10 mins 350°F per batch
teaspoon dried lavender buds, ground with mortar and pestle
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
cup powdered sugar
cup powdered sugar
Dried lavender buds (optional)
Thin strips of lemon peel (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ground lavender buds, finely shredded lemon peel, and salt. In a large mixing bowl beat the 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10-inch-long log. Wrap log in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for 2 to 24 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut roll into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, and the milk. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a frosting of spreading consistency. Spread frosting on tops of cookies and, if desired, garnish with additional lavender buds and thin strips of lemon peel. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
- Place in single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or freeze unfrosted cookies for up to 3 months; thaw and frost.
Related CategoriesBrownies and Bars, Chocolate Desserts, Christmas Cookies, Christmas Recipes, Cookies, Desserts, Easter Recipes, Fruit Salad Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Lemon Cheesecakes, Lemon Pies, Lemonade Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Party Appetizers, Party Recipes, Pies, Thanksgiving Recipes, Wedding Cakes, Wedding Recipes