- In large mixing bowl beat shortening, ginger, vanilla, tea, and lemon peel on medium until fluffy. Add brown sugar; beat until well-combined. Beat in ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat in eggs. Beat in as much of the flour as you can; stir in remaining by hand. Refrigerate dough 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Shape dough in 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar and place on two ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Dip in Powdered Sugar Glaze and toppings; let stand on waxed paper to dry. Makes 4 dozen cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Chocolate Variation :
Prepare as directed, adding 1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder with the brown sugar, and reducing the flour to 2-1/3 cups. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are set. Dust with powdered sugar.
Cut open tea bag and add the loose tea to the batter. (Do not brew the tea).
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- In bowl stir together powdered sugar and water to reach drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Ginger Snowballs)
- Per serving:
- 75 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 9 mg chol.,
- 35 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet