Upload your photo here.
Lemon Buttercream Sandwich Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in lemon peel, lemon juice, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the nuts. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time until slightly less than 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch scalloped round cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- To assemble, spread Lemon Buttercream Frosting over the bottom of one cookie; press the bottom of a second cookie against the frosting. Repeat with the remaining cookies and frosting.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer unfilled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Assemble as directed.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- In a medium mixing bowl beat softened butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in lemon peel and lemon juice. Beat in 1 cup additional powdered sugar. Beat in enough whipping cream to make a frosting of spreading consistency.