- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup full-flavored molasses
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped diced mixed candied fruits and peels
- 1 Lemon Glaze (see recipe below)
- Candied fruit
1. In a small mixing bowl beat egg with an electric mixer on high speed about 1 minute. Add brown sugar; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and honey.
2. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, ginger, and cardamom. Add beaten egg mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until combined. (dough will be stiff.) Stir in almonds and the 1/2 cup candied fruits and peels.
3. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
4. Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut into 2-inch squares. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
5. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack. Brush warm cookies with Lemon Glaze. Garnish with candied fruit pieces. Allow glaze to thoroughly dry. Store cookies, tightly covered, overnight or up to 7 days to soften. Makes 48 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 - 4 teaspoons water
1. In a small mixing bowl stir together powdered sugar, melted butter, and lemon juice. Add enough water to make of drizzling consistency.
- cal. (kcal) 82,
- Fat, total (g) 1,
- chol. (mg) 5,
- carb. (g) 17,
- pro. (g) 1,
- sodium (mg) 19,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet