Italian Nut Biscotti Sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and anise seeds. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and yolk using a fork until combined. Add eggs, butter, and lemon peel at once to flour mixture. Stir until mixture forms a dough. Stir in almonds and pine nuts. Dough will be sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into four equal portions. Shape each portion into a 14x1-inch log. Place 2 logs on each prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake on separate racks in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until light brown, rotating cookie sheets once halfway through baking. Cool completely on the cookie sheets. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degree F.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices cut sides down on cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry and crisp. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes 68 biscotti.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel for the lemon peel and stir 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel in with the nuts.
Nutrition Facts (Italian Nut Biscotti Sticks)
- Per serving:
- 58 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 15 mg chol.,
- 50 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet