Irish Black Bun Shamrock Cookies
cup butter or margarine
3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
cup granulated sugar
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
teaspoon ground allspice
cup currants or chopped raisins
cup coffee or apple juice
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoons butter or margarine
tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
teaspoon ground cinnamon
cup finely chopped toasted almonds
cups sifted powdered sugar
tablespoons whiskey or milk
Green food coloring
- Beat the 2/3 cup butter or margarine and cream cheese in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar, the 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, the mace or nutmeg, allspice, salt, and pepper; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the 3 tablespoons whiskey until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/8 inch thick. Cut with a 2-1/2-inch shamrock-shape cookie cutter (rerolling scraps). Place cutouts 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
- Combine currants or raisins and coffee or apple juice in a saucepan; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Do not drain. Stir in brown sugar, the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, unsweetened cocoa powder, orange peel, and the 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is combined. Remove from heat. Stir in almonds and the 1 tablespoon whiskey. Cool filling to room temperature. Place in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process or blend until finely chopped. Refrigerate if not used immediately.
- Place 1 teaspoon filling onto the flat side of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
- Combine powdered sugar and enough of the 2 to 3 tablespoons whiskey or milk to make of spreading consistency. Tint with green food coloring to desired color. Spread over tops of cookies. Makes about 32.
Nutrition Facts(Irish Black Bun Shamrock Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 144 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 15 mg chol.,
- 64 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet