- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 3 ounce packagecream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons whiskey
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup currants or chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup coffee or apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 - 3 tablespoons whiskey or milk
- Green food coloring
1. Beat the 2/3 cup butter or margarine and cream cheese in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar, the 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, the mace or nutmeg, allspice, salt, and pepper; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the 3 tablespoons whiskey until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours or until easy to handle.
2. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/8 inch thick. Cut with a 2-1/2-inch shamrock-shape cookie cutter (rerolling scraps). Place cutouts 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
4. Combine currants or raisins and coffee or apple juice in a saucepan; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Do not drain. Stir in brown sugar, the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, unsweetened cocoa powder, orange peel, and the 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is combined. Remove from heat. Stir in almonds and the 1 tablespoon whiskey. Cool filling to room temperature. Place in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process or blend until finely chopped. Refrigerate if not used immediately.
5. Place 1 teaspoon filling onto the flat side of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
6. Combine powdered sugar and enough of the 2 to 3 tablespoons whiskey or milk to make of spreading consistency. Tint with green food coloring to desired color. Spread over tops of cookies. Makes about 32.
- Servings Per Recipe 32,
- cal. (kcal) 144,
- Fat, total (g) 7,
- chol. (mg) 15,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 19,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 2,
- sodium (mg) 64,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet