- Beat shortening in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined. Beat in molasses, egg, and vinegar until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll each portion of dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with floured gingerbread boy and girl cutters. Press dough scraps through a garlic press. Gently press the dough strands onto the cutouts to form hair and skirts; trim as necessary. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- To decorate, use little dabs of frosting to stick nonpareils in place as leis. Pipe additional frosting trim as desired. Makes about 18.
Nutrition Facts (Hula Kids)
- Per serving:
- 240 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 12 mg chol.,
- 110 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet