Honey and Poppy Seed Hearts
teaspoons finely shredded lemon or orange peel
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon baking soda
tablespoons poppy seed
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds. Add the sugar, honey, lemon or orange peel, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the egg until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2-1/2- to 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. To later be able to string cookies together with a ribbon, use a straw to make a hole in the center of each cookie.
- In a small bowl beat egg white with water. Brush tops of the cookies with egg white mixture and sprinkle with poppy seed.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. Makes about 36 (2-1/2-inch) cookies.
Nutrition Facts(Honey and Poppy Seed Hearts)
- Per serving:
- 85 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 16 mg chol.,
- 61 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet