- Beat butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined. Beat in the 3 eggs, vanilla, and almond extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour; the anise and fennel seeds; and the cranberries, pistachios, and apricots with a wooden spoon. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 12-inch-long log 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Place logs at least 3 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten each log slightly to 3/4-inch thickness. Combine egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush over logs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown. Cool logs on cookie sheet 1 hour or till completely cool.
- When logs are cool, preheat oven to 325 dgrees F. Transfer logs to a cutting board. Cut each log diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay slices down on cookie sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Turn slices over, and bake 5 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Remove and cool on wire racks. Makes about 48.
From the Test Kitchen
Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Holiday Biscotti)
- Per serving:
- 72 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 20 mg chol.,
- 65 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet