Hazelnut Cookie Sandwiches
For a delectable treat, spread the hazelnut-chocolate frosting between two baked cookies. Everyone will love the mix of cream cheese, hazelnuts and sugar in the recipe.
- Makes: 32 servings
- Prep: 35 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
- Bake: 9 mins 350°F
- In a food processor, combine hazelnuts and 1/2 cup of the flour. Cover and process until nuts are very finely ground. Add the remaining 1-1/2 cups flour and the baking powder. Cover and process with one on/off pulse to mix.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and cream cheese. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the 2/3 cup sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until smooth. Add hazelnut-flour mixture, beating on low speed until smooth.
- Divide dough into four portions. Shape each portion of dough into an 8-inch-long roll. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill about 1 hour or until firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Cut rolls into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake on center rack of preheated oven about 9 minutes or just until barely golden brown around the edges. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of chocolate-hazelnut spread on bottom of each of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down, pressing lightly together. Makes about 32 sandwich cookies.
To toast hazelnuts (filberts), preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once. Place the warm nuts on a clean kitchen towel. Rub the nuts with the towel to remove the loose skins.
Layer unfilled cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperture for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Assemble as directed in step 5.