- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Almond Icing (see recipe below)
1. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In large bowl beat shortening with electric mixer 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat well. Add half flour mixture. Beat until combined. Stir in remaining flour mixture with wooden spoon. Cover; chill dough 1 hour until easy to handle.
2. Divide dough into thirds. On lightly floured surface, roll each third 1/4 inch thick. Cut with shaped cookie cutters. Place cookies, about 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from sheet and cool on wire racks. Dip into white Almond Icing (see recipe below). Place on rack set over waxed paper. While icing is moist, drizzle design with blue Almond Icing. Let excess drip onto paper. Let cookies stand at room temperature at least 2 hours to allow icing to dry.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
1. In a small mixing bowl combine sifted powdered sugar, teaspoon milk, and almond flavoring. Stir until smooth. Add additional milk to make drizzling consistency.