Greek Almond Shortbread Rounds
For a unique cookie, try this recipe that combines almonds, brandy rose water, and vanilla. The powdered sugar makes the perfect topping.
- Makes: 84 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
- Bake: 12 mins to 14 mins 325°F
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat until mixture is fluffy and light in color, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolks, brandy, and vanilla until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour and almonds until well mixed. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Dip the bottom of a glass in additional powdered sugar and flatten each ball to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until set. Transfer cookies to a wire rack. While warm, lightly brush the cookies with rose water (if desired) and sprinkle with additional powdered sugar. Cool completely on wire rack. Makes about 84 cookies.
If using rose flower water, make sure the label on the bottled says it is edible.
Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.