Gone Bananas Biscotti
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon ground cinnamon
medium very ripe banana, mashed (1/3 cup)
cup dried banana chips, chopped or broken
ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Beat just until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, banana, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the banana chips (dough will be slightly sticky).
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a 10-inch-long log; Place logs about 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Transfer baked loaves to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over; bake 8 to 10 minutes more or until dry and crisp. (Biscotti become more dry and crisp as they cool.) Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and shortening. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until chocolate is melted, stirring once halfway through cooking. Dip one end of cooled biscotti into chocolate. Place on waxed paper to dry. Makes about 30 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.