It takes just four ingredients--butter, flour, sugar, and egg--plus icing, to create these favorite Christmas cutout cookies.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Yields: 10 to 12 6-inch cookies or 30 to 32 3-inch cookies
- Prep: 35 mins
- Bake: 8 mins 375°F per batch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar. Beat until combined. Add egg. Beat until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill one portion of dough. On a floured surface roll other portion of dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut with snowflake-shaped cookie cutters dipped in flour; reroll trimmings and repeat cutting dough. Arrange cutouts on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Repeat with remaining portion of dough.
- Decorate cookies as desired. Makes 10 to 12 6-inch or 30 to 32 3-inch cookies.
Place undecorated cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in a shallow container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw, then decorate.
- Per serving:
- 209 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 31 mg chol.,
- 87 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet