This cookie recipe uses layers of refrigerated gingerbread and sugar cookie dough to make two-tone treats.
- Makes: 78 servings
- Yields: about 6-1/2 dozen cookies
- Prep: 35 mins
- Chill: 4 hrs
- Bake: 8 mins 375°F
- Mix together one 18-ounce roll refrigerated gingerbread cookie dough and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour until combined, using your hands to knead, if necessary. Mix together one 18-ounce roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, and 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder until combined.
- Place half of the gingerbread dough between two pieces of waxed paper. Place half of the espresso-flavor dough between two other pieces of waxed paper. Roll each dough portion into a 12x6-inch rectangle. Remove the top pieces of waxed paper. Using waxed paper, invert one dough rectangle on top of the other; press down gently to seal. Remove top piece of waxed paper. Beginning with a long side, carefully roll up doughs, using the remaining waxed paper to lift and guide the roll. Pinch edges to seal. Repeat with remaining dough halves.
- Sprinkle coarse sugar onto another piece of waxed paper. Roll one log of dough in sugar. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough and additional sugar. Chill logs for 4 to 6 hours or until firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 8 minutes or until edges are just firm. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 6-1/2 dozen cookies.
Prepare recipe as directed, except substitute one 18-ounce roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough for the gingerbread cookie dough and substitute 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for the 1/4 cup all-purpose flour.
Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.