- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until well combined. Beat in molasses, eggs, and milk until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Stir in raisins and nuts.
2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Makes about 90.
- Up to 1 month ahead, make and bake cookies. Cool, place in a freezer container, and freeze. To serve, thaw at room temperature for 1 hour.