- In a saucepan combine molasses and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Pour into large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- In a second bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and cloves. Set aside.
- Stir egg into cooled molasses mixture. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Divide dough in half. On parchment or waxed paper, shape each dough half into a 1-1/2-inch square log, about 5-1/2 inches long. Wrap; chill in freezer about 30 minutes or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice logs into 18-inch slices (reshaping logs as necessary). Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Prick each several times with a fork. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes about 4 dozen.
From the Test Kitchen
Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Ginger Squares)
- Per serving:
- 44 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 8 mg chol.,
- 37 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet