- Makes: 32 servings
- Yields: 32 bars
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 30 mins
- Bake: 45 mins 350°F
Frosted Apple Slab Pie
cups all-purpose flour
tablespoons granulated sugar
cup cold butter
egg yolks, beaten
cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced cooking apples (2- 1/4 pounds)
cup granulated sugar
cup crushed cornflakes
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
egg white, beaten
Powdered Sugar Icing
Freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg (optional)
- For pastry, in a large bowl, combine flour, the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and the salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and milk. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture, tossing with a fork to moisten. Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons water over the mixture, gently tossing until all of the mixture is moistened. Using your fingers, gently knead the pastry just until a ball forms. Divide pastry into 2 portions, making one portion slightly larger than the other. Wrap and chill until needed.
- For filling, in an extra-large bowl, combine apples, the 1 cup granulated sugar, the cornflakes, cinnamon, and the 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to pat the larger portion of pastry into the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Spoon filling evenly into pastry-lined pan.
- Roll the remaining pastry between 2 pieces of waxed paper to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Carefully peel off top sheet of waxed paper. Invert pastry, pastry side down, over the apple layer. Carefully peel off waxed paper. Press edges the two rectangles together using wet fingers. Cut a few slits in the top pastry; brush lightly with egg white.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until pastry is golden, fruit is tender, and filling is bubbly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Drizzle with Powdered Sugar Icing and, if desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg. Let stand until icing is set. Cut into bars. Makes 32 bars
From the Test Kitchen
Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Powdered Sugar Icing
cups powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make icing a drizzling consistency.