- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup full-flavor molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Food coloring (optional)
- Colored sugar, nonpareils, crushed striped round peppermint candies, and/or red cinnamon candies (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose, and whole-wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add molasses, oil, egg, and vanilla; beat until combined. Beat in ginger. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour mixture. Divide dough into four portions. Cover and chill dough for 3 to 4 hours or until easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough, one portion at a time, to a 1/8-inch thickness (keep remaining dough refrigerated). Using 1- to 4-inch heart-shape cookie cutters, cut dough into heart shapes. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are firm and just starting to brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
4. If desired, tint portions of the Cream Cheese Frosting with food coloring. Use frosting to frost cookies or pipe on designs. If desired, decorate with colored sugar, nonpareils, crushed peppermint candies, and/or cinnamon candies.
- Make-Ahead Directions Prepare as directed; cool. Layer unfrosted cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies at room temperature before frosting.
- 1/2 8 ounce package softened reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring (optional)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 - 3 teaspoons fat-free milk
1. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese (Neufchatel), vanilla, and, if desired, butter flavoring. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until combined. If necessary, beat in enough fat-free milk (2 to 3 teaspoons) to make frosting easy to spread.
- cal. (kcal) 98,
- Fat, total (g) 3,
- chol. (mg) 4,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 18,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 11,
- pro. (g) 1,
- sodium (mg) 40,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet