cup packed brown sugar
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground ginger
teaspoon ground cloves
Candied Filling (see recipe below)
Semisweet chocolate pieces
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat in the flour on low speed. Divide dough into fourths. Cover; chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll a portion of the dough into a 10x6-inch rectangle. Using a fluted pastry wheel or a sharp knife, cut dough into 15 2-inch squares. Place squares 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of filling onto center of each square. Brush one corner of dough with water. Fold opposite corner over filling. Fold brushed corner over first corner; press gently to seal. If desired, press one semisweet chocolate piece into the top of the overlapped corners.
- Repeat with remaining dough, filling, and chocolate pieces. Bake as directed. Makes 60 envelopes.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
8 ounce package cream cheese or reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces or almond brickle pieces
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar. Stir in semisweet chocolate pieces or almond brickle pieces. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Envelope Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 112 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 15 mg chol.,
- 15 g carb.,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet