- In a medium mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
- Add vanilla, cream of tartar, and food coloring to the egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating about 5 minutes on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Spoon meringue into pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe small 1-inch-high mounds that end in an angled tip about 1 inch apart on prepared sheet.
- Bake in a 300 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- When cookies are cool, dip bottoms into melted chocolate, then into chopped walnuts. Set on parchment or waxed paper until chocolate is firm. If desired, add a dot of colored icing to each tip. Makes 48 cookies.
Nutrition Facts (Elf Hats)
- Per serving:
- 41 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 3 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet