Earl Grey Bocca di Nonna
These rich sandwich cookies, filled with dark, satiny ganache, are adapted from an Italian celebration cookie called Bocca di Dama, or Lady's Kisses.
- Yields: about 28 sandwich cookies
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
- Bake: 12 mins 350°F per batch
- In a small bowl stir together flour and cocoa powder; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in almonds. Beat in flour mixture just until combined. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until it is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil; set aside. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Press balls to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until firm. Cool on cookie sheet on a wire rack. Remove cookies from cookie sheet.
- Spread the Earl Grey Ganache on bottoms of half of the cookies, using about 1 teaspoon per cookie. Top with the remaining cookies, bottom sides down.
Place sandwich cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- In a small saucepan bring whipping cream to boiling. Remove from heat. Add Earl Grey tea. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Remove tea bags or ball from cream. Squeeze tea bags well or press tea leaves in tea ball with the back of a spoon to release any liquid. Return cream to boiling. Remove from heat. Immediately add milk chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is shiny and smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Per serving:
- 145 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 18 mg chol.,
- 49 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet