Double-Cherry Streusel Bars
- Bring water to boiling in a small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add dried cherries or cranberries, and let stand for 10 minutes or until softened. Drain fruit and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- For crust, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture. Stir almonds into the reserved crumb mixture; set aside.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, stir together the drained cherries or cranberries, cherry preserves, and lemon peel. Spread the filling evenly over baked crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until top is golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 48 bars.
Nutrition Facts (Double-Cherry Streusel Bars)
- Per serving:
- 147 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 11 mg chol.,
- 70 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet