Double-Cherry Streusel Bars
cup dried tart cherries or dried cranberries, snipped
cups quick-cooking rolled oats
cups packed brown sugar
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
cup butter (no substitutes)
cup coarsely chopped slivered almonds
12 ounce jar cherry preserves (2 cups total)
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- Bring water to boiling in a small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add dried cherries or cranberries, and let stand for 10 minutes or until softened. Drain fruit and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- For crust, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture. Stir almonds into the reserved crumb mixture; set aside.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, stir together the drained cherries or cranberries, cherry preserves, and lemon peel. Spread the filling evenly over baked crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until top is golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 48 bars.
Nutrition Facts(Double-Cherry Streusel Bars)
- Per serving:
- 147 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 11 mg chol.,
- 70 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet