Buttery cutout cookies take on a stained glass effect with the addition of hard candy that melts as it bakes.
- Makes: 48 servings
- Yields: 4 dozen
- Prep: 1 hr 15 mins
- Bake: 10 mins 350°F per batch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with foil; set aside. Place red and green candies in separate small heavy plastic bags. Coarsely crush candies and place each color in a small container; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat mixture until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll a portion of the dough 1/4 inch thick. Using 2-1/2- to 3-inch cutters in desired shape, cut out dough. Place cutouts about 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Using 1/2- to 3/4-inch hors d'oeuvre cutters, cut out two, three, or four shapes from each larger cutout. Fill cutout openings with crushed candy. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on foil. Carefully peel foil away from cookies.
- If desired, use a small brush to dust edges of cooled cookies with powdered sugar. Makes about 4 dozen.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Crystal-Bright Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 99 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 16 mg chol.,
- 43 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet