This basic brown sugar cookie recipe is dressed up for Christmas and Kwanzaa with dried cranberries, almonds, and zesty orange drizzle.
- Yields: 32 cookies
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 12 mins 350°F per batch
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a large mixing bowl stir together the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir egg and juice into flour mixture. Stir in cranberries and almonds.
- Drop dough by a rounded teaspoon 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool. Drizzle Orange Frosting over top of each cookie. Makes 32 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Freeze undrizzled cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw, then drizzle cookies.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together sifted powdered sugar, finely shredded orange peel, and enough orange juice to make a frosting of drizzling consistency.