Cardamom is known as the grain of paradise in India. Sample its woodsy, sweet scent in these moist, fruit-flecked bars.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, extending the foil up and over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine biscuit mix and cardamom; stir in dates, cranberries, and pecans. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and beat until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in dry mixture just until combined.
- Spread dough evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- To serve, remove baked mixture from pan by lifting foil. Place on a cutting board; cut into bars. Dust with powdered sugar. Makes 20 bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed. Place bars in single layer in airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-Date Bars)
- Per serving:
- 160 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 23 mg chol.,
- 165 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet