- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Place dough in a large mixing bowl; knead in as much flour as necessary and the cardamom until dough is easy to handle. Roll out dough on a well-floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out cookies using 3-inch, 2 1/2-inch, and 1 3/4-inch scalloped-edged cookie cutters.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottom of cookies are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Spoon the Royal Icing over cookies, leaving some cookies without any icing. Let stand until thoroughly dry (2 hours or overnight). To apply the luster dust, use a small soft brush to lightly brush some of the iced cookies and all of the uniced cookies with the powder. To decorate cookies with additional Royal Icing, snip a small piece from one of the corners of the plastic bag. Pipe icing over cookies. Let dry thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl combine meringue powder, warm water, powdered sugar, and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Continue beating on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until mixture is stiff. Remove 1/4 cup of the icing; place icing in a small resealable plastic bag. Seal bag and set aside until glazed cookies have dried. Add water to remaining icing, 1 teaspoon at a time, to create an icing that is the consistency of thick paint.
Nutrition Facts (Cookie Wreath)
- Per serving:
- 88 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 4 mg chol.,
- 60 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 9 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet