Decorate these chocolate-and-orange-flavored cutouts with bright orange icing. Decorate the cats pictured by piping the icing, or double the icing recipe and spread it on with a knife.
- Makes: 60 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
- Bake: 7 mins to 9 mins 375°F
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed 30 seconds or until softened.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Beat until combined. Add egg, milk, orange peel, and juice, and vanilla. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat or stir in flour. Divide in half. Cover; chill for 1 to 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion to a 1/8-inch thickness. With a cat-shaped cutter, cut into shapes. Place shapes 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are light brown. Remove cookies; cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Decorate cats with Orange Icing. Makes about sixty 2- to 3-inch cookies.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough orange juice to make of piping consistency. Stir in enough orange food coloring (or a combination of red and yellow) to color the icing orange. Place icing in a small, sealed plastic bag with a small hole snipped in one corner or in a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip.
Nutrition Facts (Cocoa Cats)
- Per serving:
- 64 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 22 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet