- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2/3 cup Vanilla Sugar (see recipe below)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries or snipped dried cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped, shelled green pistachio nuts
1. In a mixer bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the 2/3 cup vanilla sugar, the baking powder, and cardamom; beat until combined. Beat in the eggs. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour and the cranberries or cherries and pistachio nuts until combined. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill dough until easy to handle.
2. Shape each portion of dough into a 9-inch log. Place 4 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet, flattening slightly until 2 inches wide.
3. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool loaves on the cookie sheet for 1 hour.
4. Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch slices using a serrated knife. Place slices, cut sides down, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Turn slices over; bake 8 to 10 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- You will need printer paper, scissors, pencil, 2 brown lunch sacks, cardboard, crafts knife, paintbrush, silver paint, thick white crafts glue, gold marker, star stickers, and parchment paper or waxed paper. To make a tree pattern, fold the piece of printer paper in half. Using the fold as the tree center, cut a simple tree shape, smaller than the front of the paper bag. Open the pattern and place it in the center of the bag. Trace around the pattern on the front of the sack, tracing only the right side. Place cardboard in sack. Using a crafts knife, cut along line and fold back. Cut a whole tree shape from another bag. Paint one side silver; let dry. Fold in half. Glue fold to center of tree on bag. Glue silver paper behind opening. Let glue dry. Draw a horizontal 3x2-inch rectangle at the tree base. Color in with gold marker. Cut out three 1x1/4-inch pieces from extra bag. Glue pieces vertically on gold rectangle as shown in picture. Let glue dry. Outline the outside edge of the tree shape using a gold marker. Add star stickers where desired. Line bag with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- For quick cutout shapes, use a symmetrical cookie cutter such as a bell, angel, or snowman.
Yield: 4 cups
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
1. Fill a 1-quart jar with the sugar. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and insert both halves into the sugar. Secure lid and store in a cool, dry place for several weeks before using. Will keep indefinitely.
- Servings Per Recipe 32,
- cal. (kcal) 89,
- Fat, total (g) 4,
- chol. (mg) 19,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 13,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 2,
- vit. A (RE) 21,
- sodium (mg) 50,
- calcium (mg) 20,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet