cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoons baking powder
cup almond toffee pieces
cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Almond toffee pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt; beat until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Stir in the 1/2 cup toffee pieces and chocolate pieces. Divide dough in half (dough will be sticky).
- Using floured hands, on a lightly floured surface shape each portion of dough into an 8-inch log. Place logs about 5 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch in the center (logs will spread during baking). Remove from the cookie sheet to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Transfer logs to a cutting board and cut each loaf crosswise diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. (Or, cool completely; wrap and store overnight at room temperature before slicing.) Place slices, cut sides down, on the cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 8 to 10 minutes more or until dry. Transfer slices to wire racks; cool.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl microwave the 6 ounces chocolate and shortening on 70 percent power (medium-high) for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for 1-1/2 to 3 minutes more, stirring after every 15 seconds until melted. (Or, in a heavy small saucepan heat and stir the chocolate and shortening over low heat until melted and smooth.) Dip one end of each biscotti into melted chocolate mixture. Arrange on a sheet of waxed paper; if desired, sprinkle with additional almond toffee pieces. Let stand until chocolate is set. Makes about 30 biscotti.
Nutrition Facts(Chocolate-Toffee Biscotti)
- Per serving:
- 143 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 61 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet