- In a medium saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar; heat and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool mixture for 15 minutes. Stir in egg, flour, and cocoa powder until mixture is combined. Stir in the 3/4 cup pistachio nuts. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 30 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough, half at a time, to a 1/4-inch thickness. Using a tree-shape cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Place cookies 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven about 9 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
- In a heavy small saucepan, combine chocolate pieces and shortening; heat and stir over low heat until chocolate melts. Remove from heat. Dip one-third of each cookie into chocolate mixture; roll edges of cookie in ground pistachio nuts. Makes about 48 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate-Pistachio Trees)
- Per serving:
- 105 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 44 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet