- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 48 maraschino cherries (about one 10-ounce jar)*, undrained
- 1 6 ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)*
1. In a small mixing bowl combine the flour and cocoa powder; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; beat until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press down center of each ball with your thumb. Drain maraschino cherries, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center of each cookie.
3. For frosting, in a small saucepan combine the chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk; heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons reserved cherry juice.
4. Spoon about 1 teaspoon frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. (If necessary, thin frosting with additional cherry juice.) Bake in a 350 degrees F oven about 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Makes 48 cookies.
- If cherries are large, halve them before using. Use any remaining sweetened condensed milk to flavor hot beverages.
- Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.