Nonstick spray coating
cup margarine or butter
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
cup finely chopped dried tart cherries
cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate pieces (6 ounces) (optional)
teaspoons shortening (optional)
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick coating; set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat margarine or butter on medium speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and baking soda; beat until combined. Beat in egg product and vanilla. In a small bowl stir together flour and coca powder; beat as much of the flour mixture as you can into the margarine mixture. Stir in the remaining flour mixture and cherries.
- On waxed paper; shape dough into two 12-inch-long logs. Place on prepared cookie sheet; flatten the logs slightly to 1 1/2-inch width. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until firm and a wooden toothpick inserted near center of each log comes out clean. Cool on sheet for 1 hour.
- Cut each log into 1/2-inch slices. Arrange the slices, cut sides down, on the cookie sheet. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 8 minutes; turn and bake for 8 minutes more or until crisp. Transfer cookies to a wire rack. Makes 40 cookies.
- If desired, in a small microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate pieces and shortening. Microwave on 50 percent power (medium) for 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring twice. Dip one end of each biscotti into melted chocolate. Let stand until chocolate is set.
Nutrition Facts(Chocolate-Cherry Biscotti)
- Per serving:
- 78 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 23 mg chol.,
- 56 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet