teaspoons baking powder
cup semisweet chocolate pieces or white baking pieces (optional)
teaspoon shortening (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds or until softened. Add sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder; beat until combined. Beat in eggs. Beat in as much of the flour as you can. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, shape each half into a 9-inch-long log. Place logs 5 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten logs until 2 inches wide.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on the cookie sheet on a wire rack for 1 hour. With a serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay slices, cut sides down, on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake slices in a 325 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Turn slices over. Bake 7 to 9 minutes more or until biscotti are dry and crisp (do not overbake). Cool thoroughly on a wire rack. If desired, melt chocolate or white baking pieces with shortening; drizzle over cooled cookies. Store biscotti in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week. Makes 32 slices.
Nutrition Facts(Chocolate Biscotti)
- Per serving:
- 77 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 18 mg chol.,
- 54 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet