- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup miniature round caramel bits or butterscotch-flavor pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts
- Coarse sugar or turbinado sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease cookie sheet; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine shortening and butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, honey, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the caramel bits, and peanuts.
3. Place coarse sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1-1/4-inch balls. Roll balls in coarse sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until tops are golden and edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. Makes about 48 cookies.
- Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.