Buttermilk-Pecan Brownies with Sour Cream Frosting
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium saucepan melt the 1 cup butter or margarine over low heat. Cool slightly. Stir granulated sugar and brown sugar into melted butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating by hand just until combined. Stir in buttermilk or sour milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Stir together flour and baking soda. Add flour mixture to egg mixture; stir just until combined. Divide batter into 2 equal portions (about 1-3/4 cups each). Stir pecans into one portion and spread this batter in prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Stir the melted chocolate and cinnamon into the remaining batter; blend well. Spread the chocolate batter over partially baked brownies. Continue baking about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- Meanwhile, for sour cream frosting, in a medium mixing bowl beat together the sour cream, 1/4 cup butter or margarine, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating on low speed until smooth and spreadable.
- Frost cooled brownies with sour cream frosting or sift with powdered sugar; garnish with chocolate curls. Makes 36 bars.
From the Test Kitchen
*To make sour milk, place 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice in a glass measuring cup; add enough milk to make 1/4 cup liquid total.
**If you opt to simply sift powdered sugar over the brownies, lightly place a wire cooling rack over the brownies before topping with sugar; this adds an interesting design to the top of the brownies.
Up to 1 day ahead, make, bake, cool, and frost brownies. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts(Buttermilk-Pecan Brownies with Sour Cream Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 174 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 36 mg chol.,
- 92 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet