- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
1. In a small heavy saucepan, heat and stir butter over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until butter turns the color of light brown sugar. Pour butter into a large bowl; cover and chill for 30 minutes, stirring once.
2. In the large bowl, beat the browned butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1-1/2 cups sugar. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, cream of tartar, baking soda, the 1 teaspoon cardamom, vanilla, and salt until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup sugar and the 1/4 teaspoon cardamom. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in the sugar mixture to coat. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 9 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack; cool. Makes about 48 cookies.
- Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.