- Makes: 60 servings
- Yields: about 60 cookies
- Prep: 30 mins
- Chill: 4 hrs
- Bake: 10 mins 375°F per batch
Brown Sugar Hazelnut Rounds
cups packed brown sugar
teaspoon baking soda
cup ground hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
cup finely chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted (optional)
cup sifted powdered sugar
teaspoon maple flavoring
Finely chopped hazelnuts or almonds, toasted (optional)
Milk chocolate, melted (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add about 1 cup of the flour to the shortening mixture. Add brown sugar, egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Beat until well mixed, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat or stir in the remaining flour and the 3/4 cup ground hazelnuts or pecans.
- Divide the dough in half. On waxed paper, shape each half of the dough into a 10-inch-long log. (Lift and smooth the waxed paper to help shape the roll.) If desired, roll 1 of the logs in the 1/3 cup chopped nuts. Wrap each roll in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 to 48 hours or until firm enough to slice.
- Using a thin-bladed knife, cut dough into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer to wire racks and let cool.
- Meanwhile, for the Confectioners Icing, in a small mixing bowl stir together sifted powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring, and enough milk (4 to 5 teaspoons) to make of drizzling consistency.
- If desired, decorate some of the cookies with Confectioners Icing by drizzling icing over cookies; sprinkle with chopped nuts. Or, if desired, dip cookies without nuts on the edges in melted chocolate, dipping about half of each cookie; sprinkle with chopped nuts, or pipe or drizzle Confectioners Icing over cookies. Makes about 60 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Wrap dough in foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before slicing and baking.
Nutrition Facts (Brown Sugar Hazelnut Rounds)
- Per serving:
- 70 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 37 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesChocolate Cakes, Chocolate Cookies, Chocolate Desserts, Christmas Recipes, Cookies, Dark Chocolate Desserts, Desserts, Easter Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Milk Chocolate Desserts, Thanksgiving Recipes, White Chocolate Desserts