- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray twenty-four 1 3/4-inch muffin cups with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the egg, 2/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and ground cinnamon until combined. Stir in the chopped walnuts until coated; set aside.
- Unfold phyllo. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface (cover remaining phyllo to prevent if from drying out; see tip); brush phyllo sheet with some of the 1/3 cup melted butter. Top with a second sheet of phyllo. Repeat brushing and layering two more times (four sheets total). Brush top with melted butter. Trim edges to form a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut phyllo stack into six 4-inch squares. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and butter to make twenty-four 4-inch squares. Press phyllo squares into the prepared muffin cups.
- Stir walnut mixture; divide between the phyllo shells. Bake in a preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown and filling is set. Cool tassies in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, in a small saucepan, stir together the 3/4 cup sugar, the water, 2 tablespoons honey, lemon peel, lemon juice, and stick cinnamon. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove stick cinnamon. Spoon 1 teaspoon syrup over each tassie. Cool tassies completely in pan on wire rack. Carefully remove from muffin cups. Makes 24 tassies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place tassies in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw 2 hours at room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Baklava Tassies)
- Per serving:
- 173 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 17 mg chol.,
- 86 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 15 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet