Herbs and cookies don't normally go hand in hand, but they sure do in this sweet treat. They make for a lovely treat with tea or coffee and are a delightful surprise on any Christmas cookie tray.
- Yields: 20 sandwich cookies
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 10 mins 375°F per batch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a bowl stir together flour, sugar, and cornmeal. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in sage. Add milk. Stir with fork to combine; form into ball. Knead until smooth; divide in half.
- On lightly floured surface, roll half the dough at a time to 14-inch thickness. Using 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out dough.
- Place cutouts 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire rack. Cool.
- Spread bottoms of half the cookies with spreadable fruit. Top with remaining cookies. Makes 20 sandwich cookies.
Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days. Or freeze unfilled cookies up to 3 months. Thaw cookies; fill with spreadable fruit.
- Per serving:
- 123 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 12 mg chol.,
- 35 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet