Almond Shortbread Wedges
cup powdered sugar
recipe Almond-Butter Frosting (see recipe below)
cups sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half.
- On an extra-large ungreased cookie sheet, pat each dough portion into a 6-inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick. Leave a 3-inch space between the dough circles. Cut each circle into 10 wedges. Do not separate the wedges.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until centers are just firm and edges are lightly browned. Recut wedges while warm. Transfer wedges to wire racks; let cool.
- Frost wedges with Almond-Butter Frosting. Press sliced almonds into frosting on top of wedges. Makes 16 to 20 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
cup softened butter
cups powdered sugar
teaspoon almond extract
- In a medium bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and enough milk to make a frosting of smooth spreading consistency. Makes 1 cup.