Almond Meringue Kisses
- Let egg whites stand in a medium bowl at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Add almond extract, cream of tartar, and salt to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). In a small bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add the sugar mixture to the egg white mixture, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Transfer egg white mixture to a disposable piping bag fitted with a large closed star tip. Pipe 1-1/2-inch "kisses" on prepared cookie sheets, leaving 1 inch between kisses.
- Place cookie sheets on separate oven racks; bake for 12 minutes. Turn off oven; let cookies dry in oven with door closed for 1 hour. Carefully lift cookies off parchment paper. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely.**
- If desired, use a new paintbrush or a paintbrush used only for food to lightly paint luster dust atop cookies and/or sprinkle with cocoa powder.
From the Test Kitchen
Choose Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar.
PER COOKIE WITH SUGAR SUBSTITUTE: Same as above, except 9 cal., 2 g carb.
**Test Kitchen Tip:
If the weather is humid, the cookies will quickly become tacky. To prevent this, transfer cookies to an airtight container as soon as they are cool. Cover; seal. Store at room temperature.
Arrange cookies in a single layer in an airtight container. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Nutrition Facts (Almond Meringue Kisses)
- Per serving:
- 13 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 11 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.