- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 35 mins to 40 mins 350°F
Pineapple Upside-Down Coffee Cake
cup (1 stick) butter
cup packed brown sugar
canned pineapple rings in juice*
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon ground nutmeg
cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
Vanilla Greek yogurt or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
tablespoon packed brown sugar (optional)
maraschino cherries (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; set pan aside. For pineapple topping, melt 1/2 cup butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in 1 cup brown sugar. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently. Pour into prepared pan. Drain pineapple rings, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Fit 12 rings into bottom of pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In a large bowl, beat softened butter, granulated sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs; beat until combined. On low speed, beat in half the flour mixture. Pour in reserved 1/2 cup pineapple juice and the milk; beat until combined. Beat in remaining flour mixture and vanilla.
- Spread batter carefully atop pineapple slices in pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. (If you invert the coffee cake too soon, the pineapple rings may stick to pan.) Place a serving tray or baking sheet over coffee cake; carefully invert. If any pineapple sticks to pan, gently replace on cake top.
- Serve warm topped with yogurt and maraschino cherries. Store at room temperature up to 3 days. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
You will need to purchase 1, 20-ounce can of pineapple slices and 1, 8-ounce can of pineapple slices for the 12 slices. There will be a few slices of leftover pineapple.
Nutrition Facts (Pineapple Upside-Down Coffee Cake)
- Per serving:
- 396 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 77 mg chol.,
- 290 mg sodium,
- 60 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 43 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet