For the cake:
- For Coconut Milk Cake, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour each 31/2 inch cup of two 6-cup mini ball pans or 48 cake pop molds.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the egg yolks, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and coconut oil. Add coconut milk; whisk until just combined. In another large bowl sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift flour mixture over egg mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture until smooth.
- In a medium bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar; beat until medium-soft peaks form.
- Add one-third of the egg whites to batter; stir until no streaks of white remain. Gently fold in remaining egg whites and vanilla until completely combined.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup batter into each prepared 3 1/2-inch ball cup, or a rounded tablespoon into each cake pop mold. Bake 3 1/2-inch balls 18 to 20 minutes or cake pops 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool 5 minutes on wire rack. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
Double Vanilla Frosting:
- For Double Vanilla Frosting, in a large stainless-steel bowl combine egg white and sugar. Set bowl over a large saucepan of simmering water (bottom of bowl should not touch water). Whisk egg white mixture constantly until sugar melts and an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F , about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove bowl from saucepan. Using an electric mixer, beat mixture on high speed until it doubles in volume, holds a peak, and is cool, about 12 minutes more. Reduce speed to medium-low. Slowly beat in butter, a few pieces at a time. Using a rubber spatula, fold in vanilla bean paste and vanilla.
- To assemble 31/2-inch balls, in a small bowl combine 1 cup of the frosting and raspberry preserves. Place filling in a pasty bag fitted with small round tip. Insert tip of pastry bag into center of the flat sides of cakes; squeeze to fill. Use frosting to attach two cakes, flat sides facing in. Using a small offset spatula, cover each snowball with remaining frosting. Press coconut flakes in an even layer to cover each snowball. Makes 6 large snowballs or 48 cake pop snowballs.
From the Test Kitchen
Coconut oil is solid at room temperature. Before measuring, place in a bowl of warm water until the oil has melted.
If you don't have a mini ball pan or a cake pop mold, you can use twenty 2 1/2-inch muffin cups, or 48 1 3/4-inch mini muffin cups. Grease and flour the cups as above. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into the 2 1/2-inch muffin cups or rounded tablespoons batter into mini muffin cups. Bake 2 1/2 inch muffins for 15 to 18 minutes or mini muffins for 10 to 12 minutes. Pipe filling in each and frost as above.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut Snowball)
- Per serving:
- 507 kcal cal.,
- 34 g fat
- (24 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 105 mg chol.,
- 239 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 33 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet