Coconut Layer Cake
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour two 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set pans aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thick. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed until light and fluffy (4 to 5 minutes). Add the flour mixture; beat on low speed just until combined.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir milk and butter until butter melts; stir in vanilla. Add to batter; beat until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans; cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Prepare Coconut Filling and Creme Fraiche Frosting. To assemble, cut cake layers in half horizontally to make four layers. Place the first layer on a serving plate, cut side up. Spread one-third (about 3/4 cup) of the Coconut Filling over the first cake layer. Repeat with two more layers and the remaining Coconut Filling. Top with the remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with Creme Fraiche Frosting. Garnish cake with toasted coconut chips.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast coconut chips, spread them in an even layer in a baking pan. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown, stirring once.
Cover cake. Store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before serving.
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 4. Wrap cooled cake layers in plastic wrap; overwrap tightly with foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight at room temperature. Continue as directed.
Creme Fraiche Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl combine creme fraiche or sour cream, whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture is thick and soft peaks form (tips curl).
- In a medium saucepan combine whipping cream, sugar, and butter. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar dissolves. In a small bowl stir together cornstarch, water, vanilla, and a pinch salt. Stir into cream mixture; bring to boiling. Boil gently for 1 minute or until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in shredded coconut.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut Layer Cake)
- Per serving:
- 757 kcal cal.,
- 46 g fat
- (30 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 189 mg chol.,
- 313 mg sodium,
- 82 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 62 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet